Friday 27 March 2015

Oh for EFF SAKES!!! Enough already!




When I first saw this on facebook I thought oh for EFF sakes, what the hell. I am so sick of some extremists ruining the word feminism for their own narcissistic needs for attention. 

All I hear today is women who say they are not a feminist like this is something to be proud of. Even celebrities are in on it. Kelly Clarkson comes to mind. Like feminism is a bad word. 


???????????


Hello? What generation are we living in? Have we women forgotten that once upon a time we were property, subject to our father and husbands will? Having no choices but to be a wife and mother even if we didn't want to be one? That we couldn't vote. We couldn't leave abusive husbands, that we were less than cattle? We didn't have a voice.

I get it.

Women and young women today think that to be a feminist you must be anti man.You don't want to get married and have children. That you are going to walk around without your top on and scream these are not sexual objects they are food for children!  When we all know that the world looks at the female body as way more than a baby making and feeding machine. Billion dollar businesses prove that on a daily bases. Hell,even the breast feeding mama's are lined up for a boob job after their babymaking days are over and it is not so that their food makers look good for their babies. Fake perky boobs in no way help inprove the quality of breast feeding.

Women need to understand what feminism really is.


Definition of Feminism

Noun
1.                            
the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.



Read it. 
Do you believe women are equal to men? If you say yes, then you are a feminist.


Back to the above post.

I decided not to judge a book by it's cover and read the "Poem" that the photographer wrote with her Instagram photo, and my anger that she is using something so natural as menstruating for her own propaganda subsided a bit. A BIT... lets not go crazy and think that I want to get all warm and fuzzy on a picture of a women menstruating and start bomb barding Instragam with photos of me and 900 of my closets friends in sweats with blood on our crotch. No thanks.


I get what her message is, I even agree with the main theme. I just think she is going about it the wrong way.


The picture makes people uncomfortable and no amount of saying BUT IT"S natural and its life and it's glorious and rah rah sis boom bah, lets embrace that we leak every month (which I don't like that term at all!) is the VERY reason so many women claim they are not feminist in today's society.


They are associating extremist with feminist.


Definition of Extremist


Noun
noun: extremist; plural noun: extremists


1.                             a person who holds extreme or fanatical political or religious views, especially one who resorts to or advocates extreme action.


 Ah yes, the extremist posed as a feminist.

The ones who knit yarn from their vagina and call it art, or shows pictures of women menstruating through their clothing on instragram. The ones who post pictures of breast feeding their 7 yr olds and the most extremist, the anti-male extremist who have turned the word feminism into a hate group.

Listen up I am hear to tell you, THIS IS NOT FEMINISM, this is extremist.

Back to the above photo.

It takes away from her message that I actually agree with. 


Now you say but the picture will change how we view menstruating.


I disagree. There isn't a woman who hasn't had this happen to her at least once in her life... most likely several times in her life, but that doesn't mean we all want to jump up and say I am woman hear me roar. We know why it happens every month. Most of us had the Johnson and Johnson page-by-page book to prove it. 

Here is a news flash too... if a woman lives with any man, husband, boyfriend etc. The men are very aware that this happens too. It isn’t like you can hide blood on sheets or clothing when you live in a close proximity with other people. That includes males. Let me let the extremist in on a little secret... Men already know this happens, they have seen it happen to a woman they love. 

It is a natural part of being a woman, but so is going to the bathroom or snot coming out of your nose. These things happen, that doesn't mean I want to post a picture on instagram showing me using the toilet and how I embrace my body and it's natural erg to defecate and release all the toxic waste from my amazing working body.

Hey I am aware what my uterus does. I have had 6 children and 3 miscarriages. I know what a miracle the female body is. Most women do. We kind of uh.... were born with this body of ours. 

In fact, most women feel pretty amazed when they grow a human and birth it. That's nature’s way of making us do it to ourselves over and over again. Including dealing with the grossness of menstruation, because it is gross. 

It may signify that life did not start in our womb that month but it is still no less a pain in the arse every month that we as women dislike, and we can't wait till it ends. All magic aside, it's not a fun time but we are use to it and deal. PMS, cramps, heavy bleeding, all of it in all it's unpleasantness.

So although I understand the message the author of the picture is trying to send, (even though it kind of reminds me of those annoying commercials for maxi pads where women are frolicking through the flowers dancing and singing and giggling like morons,) I think she went about it the wrong way and came across as an extremist and by doing so has shut out a vast majority of women who won't listen to her real message.

So she is just preaching to the choir and doing nothing for the cause of feminism or how we as women are being objectified still in this day and age constantly. 

By that I mean she is preaching only to people like herself, not the people in whole who I agree I want to hear. A woman's body is not to be objectified by anyone and that includes pictures of half naked women in underwear, most of them underage on Instragam. It needs to stop. I GET IT SISTER!! But I didn't need to see a girl wearing bloody sweats to be my poster child for this subject. In fact, you made us who take this subject serious look silly. 

Silly little women with their silly little bleeding. 

We need to make feminism not a bad word for the every day woman who believes we are as equal to men but call them selves not a feminist for fear of being associated with the extremist. The over the top, the ridiculous. The ones who may have a good message but use offensive pictures to make a point.

And yes. I find it offensive. Not because it is a little "leak" but because she is using something women of child bearing ages can't control as a pedestal for her own ego. A means of grabbing attention using OUR BODIES AGAIN so that she can compare it to...wait for it.... wait for it.... women's bodies being objectified for a person goal and want.......... eh???

It's like tip toeing through the tulips maxi commercials. It made women look stupid then and it is making us look stupid still.

Ugh.... two steps forward for women kind, and two steps back.

We are so much better than this.


P.S
For the record I am talking about the article I linked.









No comments:

Post a Comment