Sunday 10 May 2015

Scarlett's Moppet sweater


My friend Serena wanted a sweater from a popular pattern that I have eyed myself for some years. She really wanted one for her new daughter Scarlett. The problem was the sweater she wanted didn't come in the size she wanted which is size 12-18months. This isnt' really a problem but a good excuse for me to tackle the sweater and see if I could come up with the same look all on my own. 

I enjoy these challenges. In fact I kind of OCD on the idea that I can make the item based on just looking at it. It's like my crack.

Now the thing we both really loved about this classic swing coat, is the pattern on the bottom trim of the coat and sleeves and around the hood. This was really the only challenge to create the look we wanted, since I was going to use the pattern Moppet By Norah Gaughan that I found free on Raverly to actually construct the sweater. I would then add a hood instead of a collar at the end.


Interestingly enough it didn't take me long to find the stitch pattern on several free patterns to create dishcloths. It's a simple yet very effective Basket stitch. 

And so I began. I have to say I really am pleased how it turned out and really wish I could try it on a 1 yr old asap!! But alas I don't know any 1 yr olds near me right now, so I will just have to wait till Scarlett is old enough to fit into her Moppet with a hood sweater.

Think I may do this for my girl but alter the Libby pattern by leslie friend -- I would want it much longer than the Libby pattern. But there are a few swing coat patterns out there I really like. So who knows.

Here are my notes of what I did to to achieve the sweater.

Basket stitch
Row 1 (wrong side): Purl.
Row 2 (right side) k3, slip 1 with yarn in back(wyib), k3, repeat from to end of row.
Row 3: , slip 1 wyib, k2, slip 1 with yarn in front (wyif), k3, repeat from to end of row.
Rows 4 and 5: Repeat Rows 2 and 3.
Row 6: knit.
Row 7: slip 1 wyib, purl.
skirt section
Repeat Rows 2 – 7 for 6 repeats ending with a Row 5. 
Next Row (right side- knit)until total from cast on measures 8 inches decrease 10 stitches evenly across- every 17 rows or so. for a total of 10 (165 stitches) 
Starting on WS 
about 1.5/2 inches of basket weave before arm 
11 inches arm to bottom counting hemline (total skirt area around 11 inches.
Start instructions for sleeves but use 12 month instructions for sleeves binding off but 18months for length)8.5 inches for sleeves not the length given in Moppet pattern
added hood by picking up 55 stitches starting from front openig- (5 stitches) then 6 across shoulder, 33 across back, then 6 across shoulder and 5 across front
two repeats of basket weave in font shaping face, 
in mid center repeated increases 4 stitches every 3 or 4th row until I had 67 stitches total then knit unti piece measured 9.5 inches turned it inside out and did a 3 needle bind off.

I hope that makes sense for anyone interested in achieve the same look!


No comments:

Post a Comment