Sunday 5 April 2015

Today is going to be a yoga kind of day



I never saw myself as a yoga type of gal. I eat meat, I like to drink wine and growers granny smith apple cidars. I am not granola at all and although I look like a curly head hippy, I am not one in the least bit. 

In fact I kind of rolled my eyes at people who were doing yoga, like they were self obsorbed idiots haha. I know, so not Zen of me. But that is the point I guess. I didn't think it would ever be my thing.

When I had my last child, the birth was very difficult and I ended up with a separated pelvis and dislocated hips. Both conditions don't just go away after the baby is born. In fact it took my pelvis nearly a year to heal (which it did with child #4 too) and my hips have never been the same. For 7 yrs I have had constant hip pain. The first two years it was really bad then it kind of dulled to a constant ache and if I did any hard workouts like running, I usually suffered for long periods. I have had to rest from running more than one time because of my hips.

My friend Sylvie kept telling me to try yoga and that it would help with my hips. I said yah yah, like the good friend I am and totally ignored her advice, until my left hip was once again injured from running. I was discouraged because it takes so much out of me to retrain myself to run again after periods of time off. I was desperate! I didn't want to restart yet again with running. Something had to give. Something had to work and the bottles of advil weren't cutting it.

So I gave it a shot. I went on youtube and searched out yoga for hips. 

Well the rest is history. Right away I felt better. Not perfect, but that was because I hadn't found the perfect poses yet that would work for my type of pain. BUT I DID, I eventually found the perfect video for me and not only did it dull my pain it took it completely away. 

Years of pain, years of having trouble walking was taken away with a 19 minute yoga video, 3 times a week. 

Now I am an addict. I try to do a little yoga every day. It has changed my  life in ways that I can't fully express. Erin Motz from Bad Yogi (erinmotz.com)is pretty much my fav day to day yoga that I follow. That and my miracle yoga for hips from Ekheartyoga.com. I have that video burned into my brain so I will never forget it. I even did it in Mexico every day when we went away this winter. I am serious. 3 times a week and no more hip pain.

Today I feel totally stressed out with my mountain of family home and super hyper because of all the Easter chocolate in the house. So I plan on putting on my fav yoga videos and stretching my stress away. 

It even eliminates my anxiety attacks and that is just mind boggling to me. Nothing has ever been able to do that. Nothing. 

Yoga is so simple too. You don't have to be in crazy poses to get the benefits of it.

It makes you calmer, breath better, move your body easier and just an entire full body and mind recharger. I love it and am proud to say I am one of those "yoga people". It has allowed me to take control of my body and life. I have ran consistantly longer than I ever have since I discovered yoga without injury. I feel stronger every day and it is all because of a little stretching.

I have to have half my thyroid removed because of inconclusive thyroid bioposy and the very first thing I asked was not, what if it is cancer but how soon can I work out after surgery. 

Yup it's official. I am a yoga gal.




No comments:

Post a Comment